Marin City Health and Wellness Center provides innovative health and wellness services to all, with the goal of African American Health Equity.
We provide wraparound healthcare to patients of all ages and ethnicities at clinics in Marin City and Bayview Hunters Point in San Francisco. Our Women’s Center in San Rafael is scheduled to open in 2022.
Social Determinants of Health
The Social Determinants of Health connect environments where people are born, live, learn, work, play, worship and age to a wide range of health and quality-of-life outcomes and risks. In simple terms, this means that poverty makes people sick: there is a direct correlation between health and wealth, and poverty and illness. Low-income minority neighborhoods tend to have fewer green spaces, streetlights, bike paths and sidewalks, playgrounds, and full-service grocery stores.
Infographic source: Families USA http://familiesusa.org/product/african-american-health-disparities-compared-to-non-hispanic-whites
Read about the reality of what it means to be Black in America:
- Waking Up White (D. Irving)
- Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption (B.Stevenson)
- White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son (T.Wise)
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness (M.Alexander)
- Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome (J.Degruy)
- Between the World and Me (T.Coates)
Research on Health Disparities
The U.S. Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion created a tool to track Leading Health Indicators: critical health issues that—if tackled appropriately—will dramatically reduce the leading causes of death and preventable illnesses. You can explore the data using the widget below to:
- View health disparities by demographics (e.g., gender, race/ethnicity, educational attainment, family income, disability status, geographic location, age)
- Navigate data and view changes in those disparities over time
- Compare data points for each population group, as well as the range of estimates between each group
- Display all rates, rate ratios, standard errors, confidence intervals, and technical details about data collection methods